Online ISSN : 1687-8329

    




Quick Search 
 
Author  
Year    
Title  
Vol:  

 
 
January2005 Vol.42 Issue:        1        Table of Contents
Full Text
PDF


Is Swallowing Therapeutic Techniques Effective in the Management of Neurogenic Dysphagia?

Hala A Shaheen1, Mohammad Shahin2, Waleed R ElGabry3
Departments of Neurology, Cairo University (Fayoum Branch)1, Radiology, Cairo University2, ENT, Cairo University (Fayoum Branch)3

ABSTRACT

Background and Purpose: The literature provides reasonable evidence of the plausibility of swallowing therapy as treatment for neurogenic dysphagia but evidence of efficacy is almost nonexistent1. This study aimed to assess the effect of swallowing direct, indirect and compensatory techniques as a treatment of patients with neurogenic oropharyngeal dysphagia. Patients and Methods: Thirty patients with neurogenic oropharyngeal dysphagia were prospectively  evaluated using clinical and videofluoroscopic examinations. An individualized treatment plan was designed for each patient. Follow up plan readjustment and assessment for outcome measures; were done through clinical and radiological reevaluation at 2, 4, 8 weeks interval. Results: Results showed that the number of patients had chest infection (13/30 prior to treatment) dropped to1/30 and the number of patients with aspiration dropped from 16 patients (53.3%) to 5 patients (16.7%). The number of patients fed by enteral tube dropped from (10/30 prior to treatment) to1/30 at the end of follow up. From our 30 patients with dysphagia, 17 patients (56.7%) recovered completely to normal swallowing. The swallowing grade of the remaining 13 patients (43.3%) improved. these difference pre and post treatment was highly statistically significant P was 0.000. Conclusions: Swallowing techniques reduce incidence of aspiration and chest infection. It enables patients with enteral feeding to return to the pleasure of oral feeding. It improves dietary status. It improves power of muscles involved in swallowing It eliminates or at least improves dysphagia. Data obtained indicate that swallowing techniques outcomes are promising.

(Egypt J. Neurol. Psychiat. Neurosurg., 2005, 42(1): 23-33).

 





2008 � Copyright The Egyptian Journal of Neurology,
Psychiatry and Neurosurgery. All rights reserved.

Powered By DOT IT